Sunday, November 4, 2012

Travellin' Pic Stitch Blog Hop!

Hello Hoppers! Welcome to my day on the Travellin' Pic Stitch Blog Hop organized by Laura from Quokka Quilts and Katy from The Littlest Thistle! The idea of this hop is to use a picture of someplace you've traveled, grab the palette from the picture, use the colors to choose coordinating fabrics and make a project from them using English Paper Piecing! Sound complicated? Nah, but it was a lot of fun. Here's the project I made:
  And here's how I got there! I haven't done much traveling recently but I have taken the kids to Disneyland a few times. That's what's nice about living somewhere where people go on vacations. So much fun stuff to do right where we live! I took a few pictures and here are the palettes I got from them.
 Christmas decorations in New Orleans Square.
The mighty Matterhorn
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
 
The palettes were all very interesting, but the one that spoke to me was the Matterhorn palette. Greens, blue and coral, beautiful!
Here are my fabric picks. I was able to use some scraps which is always good. I decided I wanted to make a finished product and a zipper pouch would be the perfect size to get it done.
The paper piecing design I decided on was the Chrysanthemum. It's a variation of a Dresden plate but with "jagged" edges. Kind of like the Matterhorn! It also resembles the flower which is always a bonus for me.
For the center of the chrysanthemum I decided to add a little embroidery! I love the way it turned out and kind of brings all of the colors together.
The "petals" were hand-stitched using paper piecing but then I machine stitched it onto the pouch for extra stability.
  I used a gray woven look fabric for the main part of my pouch and then added a contrast border on one side and a different border fabric on the back. The lining and tab were done in a blue print.
I  made the bottom of the pouch a box so it is extra roomy inside. I will probably use it for more English Paper Piecing project supplies. They are really addicting!
 Hope you like my little project. It was interesting to be directed by a palette. I certainly don't think I would have chosen it otherwise, but love how it all came together.

Don't forget to visit all of the other paper piecing project ideas and wonderful travelogs. You can get all of the information here. Including how you can win some of these awesome prizes by travellin' along!
 
Happy Trails!

10 comments:

liniecat said...

Smashing result and great to see the logic behind it.....what a funway to work!

Ruth said...

Great idea! The bag is adorable!

Deborah said...

What a LOVELY project! Wonderful post!

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi! Your block is beautiful and I'm very happy to see that you found so wonderful idea to use it! That pouch is beautiful and practical! x Teje

Bea said...

I love your pouch! The fabrics and applique are beautiful...

Wendy said...

Beautiful colour palette and I love your embroidery in the centre

Needle little Balance said...

Such a cute pouch and the embroidery is such a nice extra!

Dianne Neale said...

What a lovely little Dresden. And great that you made it int something useful.

Laura said...

Ooh i love that block! Great photos too! And the embroidery was such a good idea! Thanks for joining!

Anonymous said...

I love the bag. All those details - wow! Well done.

Related Posts with Thumbnails